In this step-by-step guide, learn how to create domain in Windows Server 2019/2016/2012. Also learn, how to create user account on the created domain.
If you’re configuring a Windows Server and you need to create a domain, this step-by-step guide is for you. Creating a domain on a server is three-phase process including:
- Activation of Active Directory Domain Services
- Creation of domain or forest
- Creating users for the domain
Before we start this guide, let us get familiar with these terms which is involved in this process:
- Domain: Domain is basically logical grouping of machines. It is created so that users, computers and other security peripherals can be registered on a central database, known as domain controller.
- Domain Controller: It is a server which can manage all security aspects of a domain. Whether it is interaction of users to domain, security management, or centralized administration, a domain controller can do all of these things.
- Active Directory: Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) is used to store information about network objects and it ensures that this information is available to network administrators and users.
- NetBIOS: Network Basic Input/Output System basically provides session layer of networking model, allowing applications on separate systems to communicate on local network.
How To Create Domain In Windows Server 2019
Part 1: Enable Active Directory Domain Services
- Open Server Manager. Under Dashboard, click on Add roles and features.
- In Add Roles and Features Wizard window, click on Next in Before You Begin section.
- Now choose the Installation Type as Role-based or feature-based installation and hit Next.
- Select the server now and then hit Next.
- Under Server Roles, select Active Directory Domain Services.
- You’ll next get a pop-up window, click Add Features in it.
- Then ensuring Active Directory Domain Services checked in, click Next.
- Moving on, under Features section, make sure you enable or select Group Policy Management and hit Next.
- Then click Next in AD DS section.
- On Confirmation, click Install.
- The installation may take few moments and you’ll confirmed in Results section, click Close then.
Part 2: Create A Domain/Forest
- Open Server Manager and click on notifications icon. Then click on Promote this server to a domain controller.
- This will open Active Directory Domain Services Configuration Wizard. Under Deployment Configuration, select Add a new forest.
- Next, under Domain Controller Options, type the DRSM password and hit Next.
- Moving on, under DNS Options, skip warning and click Next.
- Under Additional Options, let the NetBIOS domain name auto-detected, click Next.
- Let the default paths/foders remain set and click Next.
- Now review all settings and if you like to re-configure, click Previous, else click Next.
- So far let all prerequisites checked and click Install finally.
- Once the installation is completed, you’ll asked to reboot server. Click Close and let reboot complete.
Part 3: Creating User Account On Domain
- After reboot, open Active Directory Users and Computers using search feature.
- In Active Directory Users and Computers window, go to your domain name > Users. In right pane of Users, right click on empty space and select New > User.
- Then type in new user information and click Next.
- Now type a strong password for this user account and hit Next.
- Finally, click on Finish to complete this wizard.
So in this way, we’ve created a domain and now also created user account on it.